No pictures today, but I was able to mount the motor (new from Grainger), and replace the flat pulleys for v-belt pulleys. “I was able” is putting it mildly: you should see the faces of the Grainger sales technicians when I pull a 1.5″ wide flat pulley, 6″ in diameter out of a bag and ask them to try to match it. “Oh, they don’t make those any more…” I removed the original Vandercook pulley at the speed-reducer, and mounted a v-belt pulley there and at the motor hub. Added a new belt, and then got a little help with actual wiring–from the press to the wall; from the junction box to the motor; from the motor to the switch.
Rewiring happened while I was away for a few days; when I came back, lovely new cord (grounded plug!) and conduit through the press. One of our physical plant experts came in to check to make sure the polarity on the motor was correct–counter-clockwise or clock-wise. Down one cup of coffee and after a long day of driving, I confirmed the wrong direction, and Alan promptly opened up the motor-housing and switched the polarity of the motor. I’m really glad I watched him do this, because about 10 minutes after he left to attend another job (and then another, and another, and another…thank you, Physical Plant!), I realized I’d confirmed the wrong direction. So, deep breath, I opened up the motor to un-undo and re-reverse what Alan had done.
I won’t deny that when I buttoned the motor back up I was a l-i-t-t-l-e proud and a lot scared; and I also won’t deny that to check my work I turned the press on with a piece of wood furniture instead of my bare finger…just in case. Happily, Alan is a good teacher. Press now turns in the correct direction. I let it run a minute or two, just to enjoy the sight of a formerly frozen press, left in a barn for maybe 30+ years, turning over and awaiting a new job. Then I noticed some chain slap.
The drive chain was loose enough to jump a little and hit the chain guard when the motor turned on, and loose enough to hit the bottom of the channel it runs through on its path to the ink drum. On closer inspection, I noticed that the chain had even begun to notch a groove in the metal (years ago; not while I was admiring the motor). I remembered Paul Moxon teaching how to remove a link from the drive chain, but I also noticed that the speed reducer on this #4 was adjustable: a hex bolt in the back, and a slotted screw between the reducer and the press (not too easy to get to). I loosened both of these and then re-tightened them while holding the reducer taut to the back of the press.
Tighten everything back up; hold your breath; flip the switch. No wood furniture this time. No chain slap this time, either. Looking forward to putting everything back together in a day or two: new rollers, to be adjusted with a new gauge from Boxcar; packing and tympan that were stored in the press; cleaned oscillating and rider rollers; cleaned gripper bar. For that, I will have a picture or two…